- 4 cup chicken bone broth you can use chicken broth if you don't have bone broth
- 2 cup water
- 1/4 cup real lime juice or the juice of one lime
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro if you are not a fan of cilantro you can substitute fresh basil
- 1/2 large yellow onion finely chopped
- 1/2 green pepper finely chopped
- 10 oz diced tomatoes with mild chilis
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup butter or ghee
- 1 lb chicken thighs cubed
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese (I used Iberico)
You can simply add all the ingredients to your slow cooker or instant pot. This is a great recipe to do this with. If making on the stove top, melt butter in a skillet then brown the chicken with the onions, garlic, green pepper, and cilantro, until chicken is cooked through.
Add in spices and the can of diced tomatoes and mild chilis (you can add a hotter chili if you like more kick) and simmer for about 5 mins.
Transfer filling into soup pot add in water, bone broth, and lime juice. I like to bring a boil then simmer for 20-30 mins. Add salt and pepper to taste. You can increase the kick in this soup a couple of ways. Use a hotter chili pepper, or you can increase the cumin and black pepper, or both.
Top each bowl with shredded cheese.
Macros are per bowl based on 6 servings.
total fat 22.3 g
net carbs 2.1 g
protein 26.9 g
sugar fibers/alcohols 0 g