Keto Hand Pie
- 16 oz Mozzarella Cheese (about 3 cups) for dairy free replace with non-dairy cream cheese (such as Kite Hill brand) and 2 Tbsp of grass-fed gelatin (the dough is a bit harder to work with and you may need to work on a floured surface)
- 1/2 cup cream cheese may substitute with more non-dairy cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter for dairy free use coconut oil, or ghee works too
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 3 Tbsp Whey protein powder or isolate if you don't want to use whey, substitute with 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 scoop MCT powder optional
- 6 eggs
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups chopped meat (I used turkey)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese for dairy-free use non-dairy ricotta (such as Kite Hill brand)
- 3 tsp finely chopped chives may substitute green onion tops
- 1/2 tsp Italian herbs may substitute with other herbs you prefer
Preheat oven to 400° F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
In a microwave safe dish add shredded cheese, cream cheese, and butter for bread pocket and heat on high until cheese is completely melted (about 2-3 mins)
Add remaining bread pocket ingredients (if you are not using dairy and substituting the cream cheese and gelatin for the mozzarella; gradually sprinkle gelatin and mix into hot cheese, until you have it all mixed in. Do it a little at a time to prevent gelatin lumps. then add remaining ingredients).
Mix well with the spatula to get the eggs mixed in
Once dough has eggs well incorporated knead dough with your hands. I use a twisting and pulling motion until I have a very pliable dough. (If you are doing the non-dairy version, this step doesn't work, the dough is too sticky).
Dough should be the consistency of a nice bread dough. (Again if doing non-dairy version, this is not the case. I actually broke the dough into balls, and rolled it out between 2 pieces of floured parchment paper).
Allow dough to rest for a few minutes while you prepare the filling. For filling simply mix all filling ingredients in a medium bowl.
Divide dough into 12 portions and then roll and stretch to about 1/4" thickness.
Add 1/12 of the filling to center area of one side of the dough (you are going to fold it over, so you don't want it in the very center)
fold dough over and seal the edges. If you want to add a nice gloss, do a wash with a bit of egg white (optional-also this doesn't work well on the non-dairy version).
Lay out pies leaving a bit space between as they do expand a little
Bake for 15-25 mins or until nicely browned on top.
These are a great make ahead, then grab and go food. Macros are per hand pie for the diary version, with turkey and cheddar (you may need to adjust if you change the filling or make the non-dairy version).
Total fat 21.4 g
Net carbs 3.3 g
Protein 23.9 g