Keto "Pineapple" Upside-Down Cake
- 1 chayote squash sliced with seed cut from center
- 1/4 cup real lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp apple flavoring concentrated
- 1/4 tsp pineapple flavoring concentrated
- 1 Tbsp grass-fed gelatin
- 1 Tbsp keto friendly caramel syrup (Honest brand)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans optional or substitute another nut
- 1/4 cup nut or seed flour
- 1 Tbsp butter softened
- 6 Tbsp butter softened
- 1/4 cup keto friendly sweetener
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp mace optional or substitute nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup nut or seed flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 scoop MCT powder optional
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup unsweetened nut milk
Preheat oven to 375° F. Prepare a springform pan, by lining with parchment paper and coating with butter or cooking spray.
Cut into horizontal slices.
Cut circle into the center to remove seed.
Combine chayote with all "pineapple" ingredients, except the gelatin. Heat stirring occasionally until chayote is beginning to get tender (not too soft, because you will bake it also).
Remove chayote and line the bottom of the prepared springform pan with squash rings. Don't add the liquid yet.
Sprinkle the hot chayote liquid with gelatin and stir until completely dissolved (you can do this over the heat, but, liquid should be hot enough to melt the gelatin), then add to springform pan. Set aside.
Chop pecans then in a small bowl add all topping ingredients and mix into a crumbly texture.
Sprinkle over Chayote in the springform pan and set aside.
Add dry ingredients to mixer bowl, then add the wet ingredients.
Mix thoroughly. The batter will be thick, so a spatula will be needed to spread over the top of the chayote, in the springform pan.
Bake 35-40 mins or until the top is golden and springs back lightly to touch.
Let cool 5-10 mins before inverting and removing springform and parchment paper.
total fat 23.2 g
net carbs 3.0 g
protein 3.7 g